Friday, July 22, 2016

Water pumps and such

Prev  Next


Another water subseries post in the main series of off-grid posts.

I need a way to get water to a "faucet".  I figured a faucet may be just a garden hose with a sprayer type attachment.  I'd use it to wash with and maybe wash dishes, too.

The apparatus would fit in with other things I plan on putting into the bathroom trailer.  It would have a water connection from a water source, and a water drainage either to a water treatment system ( reverse osmosis), or to a holding tank.  The holding tank or septic tank would have to get approval, but I think I'd rather not use it, and treat the water instead.

The apparatus linked to above looks expensive.  One that I looked at before could put out the rate of water needed for my purposes.  It uses aquarium pumps.  A couple of aquarium pumps would be smaller and use much less electricity.  But the aquarium pumps are not made for stopping and starting.  Would need a way to make it work so that it would be natural and smoothly operating.

You could have a switch to turn on the pump and it would route to the "faucet".  The sprayer could direct it to wherever.  When finished, turn off the switch.  It would require a bit of fancy footwork, as you would have to operate two controls.

There would be a double sink.  One for black water, the other for gray water.  If I chose to treat the black water from the sink, I would use a valve that diverted from the septic system to the water treatment system.  If the water treatment is unsuccessful, it can still be sent to the septic system.

It would all fit into the trailer, except the black water treatment system.  The trailer would be hooked up with the water source, the water treatment devices, electricity, and the septic system.

Update:

The double sink may need to go.  That's okay.  I can modify the plan.  Also, I may need two toilets. One to get approval from the county, and the other one.  The reason for the change is the tight space.  Two toilets in there?  Even the county may raise their eyebrows.  The other toilet may need to go too, but I will put it elsewhere.

Update:

Come to think of it, all water handling should be done in the trailer.  The trailer can be constructed out on site.  Everything needing to approved by the county can be installed as well at that time.  All except the connections to the septic system.  That will be built once approval is obtained.

With this idea, all black water is from the trailer.  There will be no plumbing in the cabin.

The incinerating toilet will go elsewhere.

Update:

Here's a link to some aquarium pumps.  Sounds a bit ridiculous, but these will output as much water as the sinks and shower heads in my apartment.



No comments: