Friday, July 22, 2016

Building ideas

Prev  Next

This post will go into the Construction sub-series of the off-the-grid main series of posts.  These posts can be accessed from a table of contents and watched individually or in series from beginning to end.

The idea of using the trailer to house the incinerating toilet is to make things prefab.  The trailer could be "ready to go" while you drive out to the location.  It then becomes a matter of securing it once you get there.

With that in mind, I figured this: why not build parts of the structure before leaving? 

I actually tried this on the trip out that last year.   I used pallets.  But the pallets were not of uniform size, so they didn't fit together well.

The whole flooring idea was poorly executed, but that doesn't make it a bad idea.  I can make it work better the next time around.

I can anchor it, and set it up so that it can be framed out.  I didn't do this the last time.

A better way to deploy the tarp can be thought out too.  I can make it unfurl a little at a time.  This allows me to keep control over it.  The two walls can also be built first.  Install the tarp, then the plywood around the tarp.  Insulation can go between the tarp and the plywood.  The roof will be of metal.

I can still use the Quonset concept to save on building materials and time.

I can also build the "kitchen sink" while here in Houston.  I can even test it before leaving.

This idea includes the Quonset, the 5x8 trailer w toilet and sink, a carport, a solarium, and a greenhouse.

It may seem ambitious, but it economizes on materials, so it should not cost too much.

Update

No Quonset ideas will be implemented, although prefabbing as much as possible is something to think about.



No comments: