Friday, August 15, 2014

The very grave sin of infidelity

Barnhardt recently wrote something that is, to me at least, one of the most questionable things that she has ever written.  It is on the issue of infidelity in marriage.

She seems to be advocating some sort of tolerance for infidelity.  She pointed out an example of how a woman decided to stay with her husband after she discovered his unfaithfulness.  Barnhardt gave this an example of the most proper conduct.  I think this is gravely mistaken.  I'm going to re-read her piece before going on, just to be sure I am not misunderstanding what she wrote.  Back in a little bit....

Okay, back now.

The woman she referred to claims that she would have been guilty of adultery if she left him.  Not necessarily.  I am a bit hazy on this, as I do not regularly read the New Testament, so I could be wrong.  My recollection is that Jesus said that a man who divorces his wife and marries again has committed adultery, except in cases of adultery.  If I am correct, then it is not adultery to divorce an unfaithful spouse and to remarry, according to Jesus, who Barnhardt says she loves so much.  How could she not know this???

I got to thinking and it is much worse than even this.  For the couple involved could be in leadership positions, who provide the example to the community.  If this behavior becomes acceptable, then the entire community could be affected for the worse.  Big time example?  Hillary Clinton tolerated her husband's infidelity.  That could lead to the acceptance of infidelity as an acceptable lifestyle choice.  For a nation to break with established religion in this way has grave consequences no matter what you believe in.

Infidelity in marriage must not be tolerated.  Those who commit that sin must be held accountable.  What kind of problems do we have in this nation today?  A lack of accountability would be one, wouldn't you say?  The failure to kept a solemn vow, such as marriage, can be the very thing that unravels an entire society.

No.  Barnhardt is dead wrong on this one example.  It leads one to question what else is she wrong about.

Update:

I wanted to be even more sure about the subject, so I spent the better part of this morning watching a video Gospel ( Matthew ).  Yes, it does appear that divorce is permitted, however, it is not recommended.

It appears to me that the subject is much more complex than what I had thought.

I may have interpreted it to mean that a divorce is all but required in the case of infidelity, but that isn't necessarily so either.  My bad.

Here's a thought... Forgiveness for sin isn't intended to be permission for it.


No comments: