Friday, July 4, 2014

Idea about harvesting water

prev   next

Ongoing series about going off the grid continues...

How busy am I?  Not really busy, just sitting on my asterisk***.  Yuk, yuk.

It seems that I am so busy, but I get little done.  Well, at least I'm thinking about the things I want to do.  Yes, and making plans.  But plans have a way of changing.

Earlier this week, I obtained a copy of instructions on how to build a small cabin.  As you may recall my brother "Worf" not only served in the Army, but after he got out, he built houses.  I can't drag Worf's asterisk out to West Texas, but I suppose I could ask him for some free advice.  Maybe I get it, maybe I don't.  Maybe I can use it, maybe I can't.  Either way, I got my own little asterisk out in the middle of nowhere trying to put together something of a shelter for my tired old wore out butt.  I'm studying these building plans and this dude in his book keeps talking about how you need friggin' help.  I thought he was supposed to show how to build it yourself without dragging in half of the friggin' world.

Before I can build the cabin, I have to set up some type of crude structure that can serve as temporary housing until I can get the real thing up and running.  I think I got that one figured out, but it isn't ready for execution yet.  In fact, none of this is nearly ready for execution yet.  If I were to do any of this, I would have to take weeks off from work.  That may be possible, but as of now, I'm not figuring on it.  I'm burning through money like nobody's business.  Have to keep working.

I've gots to have the cabin, I can'ts lives withouts it.

Meanwhile, I can educate myself on what I need to be doing when I am ready to do what I need to be doing.  All very abstract for something that involves concrete.  yuk, yuk

Also, I get ideas sometimes that may overturn my original plans.  Like harvesting water from rain.  Why wait for rain?  If you can get water to condense, you can collect plenty of water.  Once upon a time, I noticed how much water was pulled out of the thin air just from the a/c operations.  I see that all the time with cars--- come to think of it---everyday, I see that their a/c's pull out a lot of water.  Why not try to harvest water that way?  Well, you might think the humidity won't support that in West Texas, but that may not be the case.  At any rate, I'm watching the relative humidity numbers for the region in the weather forecast to see if the numbers will suffice for my idea.

Once you get that figured out and it's in the affirmative, you can figure out where to get the energy to make the water condense.  That widdle pwoblem may be solvable with solar and wind power.  I always said that if you have enough energy, you can do about anything.  If this works, and I don't see why it wouldn't, you can cool off a room, or refrigerate a thing or two, while making water condense out of thin air and collecting it.  We'll see.

What a country!  ( don't know why I threw that one in )

Update:

Here's a video about harvesting rainwater.  Looks pretty good, that's why I am linking to it.



No comments: