Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Anti matter for propulsion

Pardon this deviancy from procedure, this post should go on the Kardashevian Aspirations blog.  But I am pressed for time after a very busy day yesterday.  Somehow I have to work in posting here and doing my job, which is very hectic sometimes.

As I get a mp3 files from the Space show site, I'll send a short blurb over my phone, and then edit it later.  The show I listened to yesterday was about anti matter.  The subject is very speculative at this point in time, would take a "theory about everything" type finding that may make it less so.

If you had a billion dollars in your science budget ( in government), what would your highest priority be right now?  To me, it wouldn't be in researching this.  The country needs to implement something useful in the shortest time possible.  If I had the choice in the matter, I'd say develop Thorium based nuclear reactor technology and bring it into commercialization as soon as possible.

Also nuclear thermal rockets.

These two techonologies are near readiness levels and have been for decades, but our government, in all its wisdom decided not to fully develop them.  There they have languished all this time while the need remained.

This little bit of technology development alone could make a big difference.  It would be a good use for the taxpayer's money.  So much is squandered, and the technology itself has been squandered for all these years.

No comments: