Friday, July 1, 2016

Information mining

One of the things I managed to do yesterday.  I found a couple of websites with people who have land out where I have mine.

  • Sierra Blanca, Texas blog  --- currently over a hundred comments
  • Facebook page


What I wanted to know is where to get water.  I know one of the neighbors was getting water one day from somewhere, but I neglected to ask where he was getting his water.  Evidently, there is a place in town to get the water, but I didn't see where it was.  Still don't have an address or name of the place, but I do know that there is such a place.

The paperwork for getting a permit for a septic system will require a disclosure of where you are getting your water.  I can fill that info in when I get the name of the establishment that sells the water.

There is someone on that page mentioned who says he can drill water wells.  He may be willing to do it cheap.  Not only that, there is a company that can evaluate your land for its water well potential.  My understanding up to this point was that a water well was not feasible, but that may not be correct.  It may be another thing to consider.

Most people out there dig out tanks and let rainwater runoff fill them up.  It may be possible to do something like that on my land.  The downside to that idea is that it will silt up, as the water brings dirt along with it.

Also downloaded a Hudspeth county soil survey from the Feds.  It is a ton of information, but it needs a decoder ring to figure it all out.  Enough here to keep you busy for a long, long time.  Trouble is, I don't have time for that.  Besides, I have done my own soil survey on the land, and I know about what I am dealing with.

Still don't like the idea of a septic tank.  It is crazy.  Even if I manage to get a well dug for not that much money, it is still a waste of water.  Nobody is going to use 70 gallons a day of water out there.  It is nuts.  If you dig out a septic tank, you will need heavy equipment.  I don't like that idea at all.

That's why I am considering just a carport and a small shack.  The shack will only be big enough for the incinerating toilet.  Just sleep in the van under the carport.

People will think that is crazy.  Well, yeah.  Going out to a place like that is crazy from the start.  Might as well go the whole hog.

I want to put this into my off-the-grid series, so it will go into the general subseries section.  Come to think of it, try this:

This post will go into the Construction sub-series of the off-the-grid main series of posts.  These posts can be accessed from a table of contents and watched individually or in series from beginning to end.

That was an easier way of doing it, which I like.

Prev  Next



No comments: