Sunday, January 22, 2023

The Yardbirds - Shapes of Things (1966)



update of 5.1.16 post



This song came to mind again this morning, and I thought I'd make a post about it. Turns out that I made one previously. So it is only an update.

There are multiple instances of the song that are posted on Youtube. The one I saw is not this one here. On the other, there are some comments that I noted. The comments are what I want to discuss.

The comment at the top of the list appears to be from someone who is much younger than I am. I grew up when this song was being played on the radio as brand new. It was first recorded about 66 or 67. Well, the comment was about how world was being destroyed, and how the song related to that. I have to laugh...

Most of my childhood was spent in Houston, and the part that wasn't, was in San Antonio. Houston is an industrial town, and there's pollution there. But it was far worse in the sixties than it was when I left town in 2016. It is almost as if the younger generation has discovered pollution or something. We were all very aware of it, I assure anyone who wasn't around back then. Maybe the comment was referring to the thing called "climate change".

Anyone who has read much of this blog knows what I think of climate change. I'll add some more to it, now. Climate alarmism is the same as COVID alarmism. Alarmism is a favorite tactic of useless politicians. Actually, they are worse than useless. People in the days of old had a healthy skepticism of politicians. Not so much these days. All these politicans have to do is to cry wolf, and people run for the hills. It would appear that folks need to remember the story of the boy who cried wolf. Yet, it is the younger generation who seem to need to hear that story the most.

My generation was hoodwinked into alarmism as well. The young are the most succeptible to this kind of thing. Their lives are in front of them, and they haven't much experience. Once they've been around awhile, they may catch on to these kind of shams. Unfortunately, almost everybody fell for the COVID scam.

The song appear to question the idea of material progress. Material progress was highly valued up till the sixties, but obviously that has changed. What has also changed is that material progress has slowed down--- a lot. It has taken over 50 years to get back to the moon, even if Elon Musk's Starship succeeds. Maybe China will get there. Back in the sixties, the Chinese got around on bicycles. We had our muscle cars. There's a message in there, if you bother to look for one.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not excusing pollution. Nor even the production of so-called greenhouse gasses ( assuming that these gasses actually cause global warming, which I doubt.) The thing I'm criticizing here is the total lack of intellectual curiousity that has become rampant in this society. If there was such, there would be less opportunity for all of the alarmism that runs rampant, and it is this alarmism that is greater thing to worry about than the things the politicians love to scare people about.

Heard this on the road this morning.  I like this song.





No comments: