Thursday, April 30, 2015

Drainage system for the Quonsets

There's one fella at one of my usual stops who has shown a keen interest in what I'm doing out at da Ranch.

So, he asks me when am I going out there again.  I say: "probably not in a long while".  But after just a few days, the bug is starting to bite again, and I'm thinking about another trip.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?????????????

Yeah, it's nuts, I know.

But what else am I going to do?  Well, if I'm going to go, I have to have an objective.  What could that possibly be?  Lately, I've been thinking about the water problem, and how the potential exists to capture all the water needed from rainfall.  Now, the quonset that I built isn't drained properly, so that can be corrected with a drainage system that I can install.

So, now there are two things I could do while there.  One is to repair damages to the quonset, and two, to add a drainage system to it.

A third thing is to add upgrades.  One upgrade would be aluminum siding so as to stop the rot that must creep in from the wood being exposed to the elements.

A drainage system should be simple.  Since two by fours line the outside edge, just place a drain rail on top of it, and a receptacle on each end so that the water can drain into it.  The receptacle cannot be that large, so it must be pumped out.  A small pump can drain it into a larger holding tank.

An idea just occurred to me that since the quonset is 8 inches above the ground, the area under would most likely hold enough water by itself, that no other tanking would be necessary.  In other words, build the tanks into the quonset itself.

It is too late to build one for the currently existing quonset, so the new versions can have it once I get around to building those.

I don't know of any existing tankage that I can attach easily to the quonset.  It may require that I build my own.  Here's an idea that might even work, but it ain't cheap.  The form fitting tanks can receive the water directly from outside and be held there inside the quonset for as long as needed.

This will go into the water subseries of the off-the-grid series of posts.

Prev     Next


No comments: