Monday, April 27, 2015

Resumption of work schedule begins today

Oh, goody.

Well, at least be grateful that there is a job.  Things could go south in a big way, which could mean no jobs at all.

As I got up this morning, I thought of how tight the schedule really is.  As I write this, there is less than an hour before you have to start preparing for work.

In that short span of time, I have to come up with something for the blog if I want to keep putting things up.

People at work will be curious about what I did out there.  I put up a pic on my smart phone and made it my wallpaper.  It is a pic of my little shed that I built.  It is so modest that I am embarrassed.  So little to show for so much work and expense.  A consolation is that most of the cost was for stuff that I still have.  Consumables like food and motel space only made up about a third of the expense.  I won't have to spend money for the tools and equipment I bought.

Besides the pic, I can tell a few stories.  I left those out until now.

One story is about the cattle somebody had placed on his land, which was a few miles away from me.  He failed to put up a fence, and so the cattle started "free ranging".  They liked to get on the road and follow the road.  This little herd consisted of about 10 cattle.  Anyway, this guy's herd made it to my property while free ranging.  I got a bit upset at this, finding these cattle on my land.  But then I realized that this guy was fighting a losing battle.  The cattle probably wouldn't have left his land if they had sufficient food.  The dude was probably falling behind in his schedule.  Even worse, if he wasn't feeding them, he wasn't watering them enough either.  I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his herd.

It only goes to illustrate that this ain't no easy task to settle that land.  You really have to know what you're doing.

It is probably best to start modestly, and try to get a foothold out there.  Starting off with some big animals like that--- too ambitious.

And I thought I was being too ambitious.

It could be that I've got it wrong.  But having your cattle miles away from where they are supposed to be could not have been his intention.  Getting them back could be a problem.  They could have wandered off anywhere in search of food and water.

There's a reason that there's so few people out there.  Things like this can discourage a person.

I have no great options left to me.  I have to make this work.  I think I've got a good plan.  We'll see.


No comments: