Monday, March 11, 2013

Why I don't blame low-information voters

Because I consider myself one.

Look, information is hard to come by.  I get almost all my information from the internet.  This means I have to look for it.  It's like sifting through tons of ore to get at a few nuggets of gold.  It's very time-consuming.  Does a working stiff like me have time to do a thorough job of this?  No.  So, how can I blame anybody for not knowing stuff that the major media won't produce, and I have to go find for myself?  You can't blame people for not having the time.  The only reason I have time is that I like doing this stuff and its fun for me.  But there's more to life than fun, you have to work too.  I have to work for a living and I don't have time to do this all the time.  Not that I would mind it if I could.

Blaming low-information voters is counter-productive.  For one thing, that's telling them that they are lazy, or that they are stupid.  Maybe many of them are indeed lazy.  Maybe many of them are indeed stupid.  But I'd like to think that there are plenty out there who would listen if you would just make the effort and provide them with good information.  I know I would.  That's why I'm out there looking for it.  If enough of these people had the right kind of information, it could make a difference.  So blaming them is not going to win them over.  It will turn them off and they will definitely not listen.

So blaming people for not knowing what you know isn't going to help anything.  Besides, you may not know as much as you think.  Perhaps you should up your game a bit.  Real leaders don't blame the public.  Ronald Reagan didn't.  In fact, Reagan pointed out that his opponents were the ones blaming the public.  And he was right.

The media isn't going to inform.  You may as well not add to the noise by blaming people for the noise level that already exists from the media.  You have to demonstrate your superiority by providing them with something they aren't going to get from the media.  That shouldn't be too hard.  If people are smart, they'll see the value.  The others?  Well, they'll figure it out eventually when they see where the smart people are going and they'll fall into line.


No comments: