Thursday, May 31, 2012

'I Authored 700 Papers. Did I Read Them All ? No.'

science 2.0  h/t Behind the Black

excerpts
  • Measuring the value and the impact of a scientist on her field of research using as data her scientific papers, the number of citations these papers got, and the prestige of the scientific journals where these were published is no easy matter.
  • No, I cannot even say I read all of them; perhaps I read a third. If this coming clean with my true contribution to papers I signed shocks you, please consider: I did not ask to sign those papers -it is automatic !
  • the few honest scientists who stick to the idea of only signing papers to which they feel they gave a contribution would quickly end up at the bottom of the list of any scientometric index, being surpassed by the less upright ones.
Comment:

Again, I point to Bronowski's warning.  You need integrity in order to have a scientific civilization.

No comments: