Thursday, May 26, 2022

Off-grid post, 5-26-22



It has been awhile since the last one of these, so here we go again...

The charge controller doesn't satisfy me, so I ordered another. In addition, the mysterious shutting-off of the inverter hasn't been solved. Perhaps a new controller will solve that. Perhaps it won't. But it does seem to have better connectors. We'll see.

While I was at it, I ordered another solar panel. This will give me a set of four, at 100 watts apiece. These will be wired in pairs of two ( what else), with 2 being in series; which in turn is connected to the other two in series. It isn't 48 volts because the two pairs will be in parallel. All the wiring I need for this job should be here already. It should be easy to wire up, but you know how that goes.

It also has been awhile since the last good rain. It rained recently, and I am now filtering the rainwater for use in the swamp cooler. As I write this, it is cooling me nicely. It smells a little like a hospital in here, cuz I added a bit too much bleach for disinfectant.

The western wall is in place and it looks sturdy. When it rained, there was plenty of thunderstorm activity, and it didn't fall down. When you talk about my carpentry work, not falling down is an achievement. Staying upright while doing this is enough of a challenge for yours truly. I got a little woozy there from time to time. It won't do to fall down. Things that I can afford to break might get broken. The wall didn't fall and neither did I. That's a two-fer.

Finally, there will also be an upgrade on the battery. One has been ordered that is over one kilowatt hour of power. Four panels should put out about twice that. Between the other one and this one, and the heavy use of it that I anticipate, it should be sufficient for this system. As before, we will see.

That brings me up to date on this project.

No comments: