Monday, April 16, 2012

Fairness?

A short blurb on that topic.   I recollect a co worker who had a complaint about how much money he made.  He didn't think it was fair that all of the employees made the same salary and he let me know about it.  Evidently, he expected to make more money than myself, yet I made more than he did.  I made more on commissions, mostly because I had a better location than he did.  That's what bugged him.

It was probably not to wise of me, but I offered to exchange locations with him.   He refused.  In retrospect, I think I should have said that whatever the boss wanted to pay him was between him and the boss.  I should have told him that there wasn't anything I could do about it.  As for myself, I asked for a raise.  I didn't get it.  On the other hand, if he managed to get a raise, I don't think I would have bugged him about it if he had gotten it.

What does this have to do with fairness?  Whatever the boss decided to pay him and what he agreed to accept was his business.  I think it is that way a lot, but some people like to make a big deal out of it when they think they are being treated unfairly.  It isn't anybody else's problem, so why should they burden someone else with their own grievances?

I mean, why should have I have the problem.  But I did take it upon myself to help him with his problem.  I offered him something which I shouldn't have.

The reason I'm bringing this up is this idea of "fairness" that Obama likes to bring up.  Fairness is between two people who are dealing with each other.  It's really nobody else's business.  Why should the government be involved?  If you don't like the way you are being treated, just go somewhere else.

The rich have the same scenario as what I dealt with.  I was agreeing to take less money just to make this knucklehead happy.   Why should the rich be burdened with the grievances in which the rich had nothing to do with?  Why should the rich take a "pay cut" just to make some envious person feel happy?  It's the envious person's problem, not the rich guy's.

No comments: