Sunday, March 27, 2011

Environmental elitism

This topic came up today while I was watching videos on Netflix.

It is hard to see why anyone would be against protecting the environment, but on the other hand, why is it that this protection seems to harm the people that the so called progressives claim to want to help?

But this blog is not intended to start those type of arguments.  For example, even though I don't subscribe to the theory of man made global warming, I can see a benefit in transitioning to a non fossil fuel energy source.  But when I watch these people pushing ideas like wind and solar power, I wonder if they are serious people.  While pushing these "renewables", they seem all too willing to block the tried and true methods of energy production.  Instead of coming up with a better way that truly makes sense economically, they seem to be forcing their ideas upon people and making them pay for it in the meantime.

But again, this is not to start an argument.  It is meant to research real solutions to the problem.  It is hard for me to see how wind and solar and be a real solution.  If fossil fuels aren't sustainable, neither are wind and solar.  Wind and solar were sustainable 100 years ago, but not today.  The modern world has many more people in it and these people can't subsist on the horse and buggy era economics that existed a hundred years ago.

Hence my interest in fusion power research.  Also, it explains my interest in the space program.  I believe the solution to the energy problem can be found in space.  It would seem that those in the so called progressive movement would at least show some interest in this.  My impression is the left is more interested in the jobs program aspect of space than in actually solving real problems with knowledge gained from the space program.

It reminds me of something I once observed.  The government seems interested in solving problems that don't exist or not likely to exist; using means in which to allegedly solve such problems that are the most expensive amongst the various alternatives, and which have the least chance of succeeding.

If I am wrong, I would not mind being shown where I am wrong, and be specific about it.

No comments: