Saturday, April 2, 2011

Kardashev scale

As of this moment, my decision was to not do the non profit.  This decision is not final.  I'm still thinking about it.  If I am happy with the name of it, a way to fund it, and a way to fund myself, so I can support myself, I may do it anyway.

I need a name for the non profit if it is to become a legal entity.  So, I'm looking at using Kardashev in the name because it encompasses a couple of a main themes in my blog and my Facebook page.  The term Kardashev level, when applied to a civilization, means the level to which that civilization has mastered energy and space colonization.  There are 3 major Types of Kardashev civilizations.  We haven't even reached Type I yet.

Type I is mastery of the Earth.  Type II is mastery of the Solar System.  Type III is mastery of a galaxy.  I would postulate that Type I is the only one necessary.  I would also postulate that at least a Type I must be mastered if civilization, as we know it, is to survive for long.   I observe that wars are often fought over scarce resources.  Scarce resources are scarce because the Earth itself is finite.  Space is not.  If space is not mastered, we are doomed to a future in which wars are inevitable, and probably increasingly destructive.

Here's some names I'm knocking around:

Kardashev's conundrum, Inc.  A conundrum is a sort of riddle.
Kardashev's paradox, Inc.  A contradiction between two statements that, when taken separately, appear true.
Kardashev's  dilemma, Inc.  Colloquial term as an example would be: "between a rock and a hard place".

Here's some derived names from the above:

Answering Kardashev's Riddle, Inc.
Resolving Kardashev's Paradox, Inc.
Solving Kardashev's Dilemma, Inc.


Mastery of energy implies outcomes and entails risks that may not be acceptable to all people.  Looking upon the modern scene, it appears to me that the desire to master energy is lacking.  Certain influential people don't want to use nuclear power nor fossil fuels.  The desire to master fusion power seems hesitant as well, since certain initiatives have to go begging for money.   For example, Robert Bussard's polywell device seems rather promising, yet politicians don't seem to be all that enthusiastic about getting it funded.  Eric Lerner's Focus Fusion device is in a similar place.  Tokomak's do get funding, even though it is expensive, and most likely because the goal is far off and therefore not likely to be achieved anytime soon.  As soon as Tokomaks seem to be on the verge of success, most likely the opposition to continued funding may actually increase.

No comments: