Thursday, December 16, 2010

Conspiracy

This is one of those types of words that's associated with paranoia.  But the saying goes, even paranoids have enemies sometimes.  I know that whenever I hear the word "conspiracy", I tend to dismiss everything that comes after.  Given that, what happens when evidence points to the existence of a conspiracy of sorts.  Is it time for a padded cell?  Or some meds?

Yes, I am getting suspicious of something.  But what it is I don't exactly know.

It could be one of those bits of common knowledge that evidently didn't make it to my cranium.  Or am I seeing something no one else is seeing?  Am I the one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind?  In that case, I should be king.  But no, I am definitely not that.  So what's going on here?

I am being purposefully vague here.  Let me try to clear this up the mystery just a little.

As some of those who come here may know, I've been writing pretty frequently about space.  This is a relatively new topic for me.  For years, I haven't paid that much attention to the subject.  Yet lately I have.  It came to my attention that there is trillions of dollars worth of precious metals and so forth in the asteroids.  One would think, why isn't there any interest in mining these if they exist?

Naturally, I know that if you find a super rich deposit of gold, this may not be so good for the price of gold.  Once all that supply hits the market, down goes the price.  If you have a gold mine, its value will go downhill pretty fast.  But consider this: at one time aluminum was considered a precious metal.  Would everyone prefer that it had stayed that way?  Look how useful aluminum is.  Although once it was rare, now it is so plentiful that people have to be encouraged to recycle it.  Otherwise, it goes into the trash.  Now try to imagiine if gold was so plentiful that people had to be encourged not to throw it away.  What kind of world would that be?

I think the principle here is the principle of scarcity.  No, worse than that.  It is the principle of forced scarcity.  The same kind of thing that a monopoly will do.  Or a cartel.  It is definitely not the principle of a free and open market.  Rig the markets so that the price will remain as high as possible.  Then rake in the profits.  It is good for the monopolists, not so good for their customers.

My suspicion is that there is no interest in this because it is not in the interests of those who have great wealth.  Now I am definitely not one of those lefty types that rail against the rich.  I've written in favor of the institution of capitalism.  Yet, here I am knocking the super wealthy.  Yes, I think they are behind this and a few other things as well.  It all seems to come together in a conspiracy to hang on to their power.  In order to accomplish this, the poor must remain that way.  You see, if everybody is rich, what good is it in being rich?  Wealth has to be hoarded and keep from the masses, you see.

If my theory is correct, the lure of wealth in the asteroids is a threat to these people.  It must be beaten down.  It must be discouraged.  It must be denied.  By all means, it must never be fulfilled.  What would the rich do if their wealth didn't mean what it has always meant?  You would think that, given the "concern" that so many of the wealthy have for others, that they would be the most enthusiastic about raising the material abundance in this world.  But that is not what they are concerned about, in my opinion.

Yep.  It may seem crazy, but it sure looks that way to me.

No comments: