Saturday, April 2, 2011

Adam Osborne article

I remember this guy.  The book they mentioned -"Computer Entrepreneurs"- is one that I still have, if I can find it in a box somewhere.

I remember the Radio Shack Videotex, because I bought one.  I was online way, way before it was cool.  I worked in a Radio Shack store, and they sold TRS-80 machines back when personal computers were just toys.

I remember the name Dan Bricklin and Visicalc ( spreadsheet in case you didn't know).

I remember the CP/M operating system (forerunner of MSDOS, Windows).

I like this quote:

“Getting into these oh-how-great-I-am or oh-how-important-this-is mindsets squelches the game of creativity, in my experience.”

You know you are getting old when something like this, which was so high tech at the time, looks so old and clunky.  Oh, my!  It's called computer nostalgia!  What happens to old geeks anyway?

2 comments:

Francis W. Porretto said...

What happens to old geeks? We get dropped into the bit bucket.

Greg said...

I wish I had a snappy comeback to that, but I don't. Thanks for dropping by, and thanks for commenting. I appreciate it.