Saturday, February 22, 2014

Added drag to the spreadsheet calcs

I don't know if these calcs are anywhere near being correct.  It does give you some idea of what the requirements may be.

Last two columns are drag for orbital velocity and 1/2 orbital velocity in kilograms per square meter
You may be able to see that most of the acceleration will probably take place between airplane mode at 260k feet to the Karman line and possible beyond.  Acceleration at lower altitudes will probably create too much drag.

But I may be way off anyway, so these calcs may be thrown out.

Update:

When I was a kid, I liked to stick my hand out the window when the car was moving.  It gave an idea of the force of drag.  Using that memory and a little guessing, I'd say these calcs for drag are way off.  Maybe by up to 3 orders of magnitude.

I did a sea level drag comparison, which yielded a number that was a bit too low in my estimation.  Something like 3 kg per meter.  But, in reality, it may be as high as 3k kg per meter.

Also, did one for a plane doing about 600 mph.

The drag problem for the  ATO is likely to come from its very large size.  Duh.


No comments: