Monday, October 18, 2010

Slippery little word called truth

What is truth?  That is a question that Pontius Pilate put forth to Jesus.

This is an ancient question that is not always so easy to answer.  On many occasions,
isn't it true that you see whatever you expect to see?  One's bias misdirects one's
own capacity to perceive what is and what isn't.  In the end, you can say something
like "I know the truth when I see it or hear it."

You can look up truth in the dictionary or the wikipedia.  Maybe that will help.
When you go to jury duty, you are supposed to be listening to sworn testimony that
is supposed to be truthful.  But what you hear may not be true, but even if it isn't,
is it a lie?  When you can't determine it for yourself, you have to rely upon someone
or something that will allow you to sort it all out.  It can be a slippery thing.
Not everyone agrees on what it is even when looking at the same thing.  If you are
called upon to remember an event, your memory could be faulty.  Your eyes can
fool you.  So can your ears.  So can your own mind.

In the end, you probably rely on your own wits.  It's the only kind you have that
you are certain about.  But being fallible, your own wits can fail you sometimes.

Anyway, if you want to understand it according to some philosophical model or
definition, you can start with epistemology.

I didn't read all this myself.  Often a discussion like this tests my patience.


I think that you have to start with honesty before truth can ever mean anything.
By honesty I mean a willingness to admit if you are wrong about something.  It implies
humility and respect.  Humility in acknowledging one's own limitations and failures,
and respect for others.  I think that dishonesty begins when respect ends.  Also,
when humility ends, honesty can't take root.  Arrogance can't admit the truth of
fallibility.

I could be wrong, but I think that honesty is pretty rare thing these days.  A
competitive spirit can bring about the unwillingness to admit mistakes and the
tendency to get a little too sure of oneself.  One thing about me, I want to be
on the side of truth.  If I am wrong, I hope I can be big enough to admit it.  In
everything I do, I look for the truth.  But I can be wrong.  And I have been
wrong, so I am not going to kid myself about it and get arrogant about it.  I can
be as competitive as anyone.  But competition does not equate with finding truth.
It is a lonely walk.  You have to honestly seek it out.  You can't slug it out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a fine line between committment to a position and prejudice for a position. We see why it is necessary to have someone in a neutral position to arbitrate. You wouldn't be able to have a baseball game without an umpire. In the courtroom it is necessary to have a judge, but people still have to swear to tell the truth. I guess that means God is the final judge. Atheists insert Dawkins for God.

Greg said...

For people committed to fair play, there is no problem. What happens when it comes down to a win at all costs mentality? The truth is the first casualty.

Look at this link here to see what I mean:
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/249981/wilders-west-andrew-c-mccarthy

If you want a competition in the marketplace of ideas, how can you guarantee a fair umpire? There are those who are not committed to fair play, but victory at all costs instead.

Anonymous said...

The National Review story is interesting on several levels. It shows how standards and mores are different in Europe from the American view. Unless or until Obama or his Supreme Court appointees usurp our Constitutional right to free speech, we are self censored only. Rand Paul might be interested in the OIC angle, since his opponent has trouble with the Aqua Buddha.

Greg said...

How could Rand Paul miss the dreaded Aqua Buddha? This is certainly worthy of our attention.

But seriously, Obama and his party want to emulate Europe. But I think we can do without a Geert Wilders type trial in the good ol' USA. It is really chilling to hear them say that the law trumps the truth. But the law should be first and foremost about truth. The truth cannot be dismissed so easily. When a government can do this, be afraid. Be very afraid.