Sunday, February 12, 2017

A screen porch and awning combo for the trailer

Prev  Next

This post will go into the Construction sub-series of the off-the-grid main series of posts.  These posts can be accessed from a table of contents and watched individually or in series from beginning to end.

A lot has changed since this last post in this series.  The post linked to previously was written just before I had to move out of Houston.  I had to move out because my illness was preventing me from working enough so as to pay bills, such as rent for the apartment.  Shortly after this post, I got a proposition to move out of town into a trailer rent free, so I took that opportunity.

A trailer changes the plans a bit.  Now that the trailer is in the mix, I am considering ways in which to utilize this trailer out west.  That assumes of course, that I am well enough to make the trip out there and vigorous enough to live out there.  Assuming all that is true, then I will need a place to stay.  But I may be able to stay here as long as I like, too.  Either way, I am going to need to provide some shade from the ferocious Texas sun.  As of this writing, it isn't that far from spring in this neck of the woods.  Time to make plans on the weather warming up, and warming up considerably.

As of this writing, I have marked off the site on which I will build a screen porch that will double as an awning so as to keep off that ferocious sun.  If I am still here next winter, it can double as passive solar solarium, which will heat up the air inside an enclosed heat trapping "greenhouse" type structure. 

I will use the building techniques that I used to build the shack out on the property.  There will be six cattle panels that will be bent into shape, and will be nailed into a frame constructed next to the trailer.  On top of the cattle panels will be a screen.  Or, it can go under the cattle panels, whichever is the better idea.  The cattle panels will form a semicircle around the side of the trailer.  It will be about as high as the trailer, and will fold out about five and a half feet away, so as to make a corridor to walk along the side of the trailer under the cattle panels folded above.  A wooden frame will secure the cattle panels into position.  The frame itself will attached to ground, and to the trailer.

Details of the construction will be covered in later posts.  This is no longer theory, but practice.  This will be built, unless health problems forbid it.


No comments: