Thursday, February 16, 2017

A Personal Post

This post will be a bit different from the usual fare on this blog.  It is primarily about myself.  It can also be about the bigger picture, as there are factors that are much bigger than myself.  It may seem like a bit of complaining, but I hope to keep that to a minimum.  Having said the preliminaries, let me begin.

I never approved of Obamacare.  Yet, I find myself in a position in which it may be necessary in order to save my very life.  So, what do I say now that this has been visited upon me?  I say the same as before, but at the same time, I will not be ungrateful.  If it turns out that Obamacare saves my life, then I will say so.  But at the same time, I do not endorse this way of doing things like this.

I did not protest Obamacare, other than with words.  I did not do a tax strike, as Barnhardt did.  I followed the law, even though I did not approve of it.  I sought repeal of it, and still do.  That may sound crazy, since it may save my life, but I should be consistent with what I believe.  And I believe that it isn't the government's place to do things such as this.  Only in cases in which it cannot be avoided, and it would be a last resort.  Such is not the case here.  If the government is to be involved, then it should be kept at a minimum.

But that is all water under the bridge, so to speak.  The law is the law, and we all have to live with it.  It may well be that Obamacare saves my life, but that may not happen either.  There are those who may claim that it will, but the reality is that I haven't received any treatment yet.  Yes, I did get some care at the hospital recently, but those were in response to symptoms, not the disease itself.  The disease is killing me.  Unless treatment is obtained soon, I may not be long for this world.

As for the proposed treatment, it seems like state of the art, to me.  However, state of the art probably costs more money.  If the insurance company refuses to pony up the bill, I could be up the infamous creek without a paddle.  What do I say in the event that I don't get that treatment?  Well, the alternative is a 30 hour operation.  Thirty hours on the operating table doesn't sound like a sure bet to me.  Not only that, but the aftermath will be difficult.  Quality of life will definitely be lower.  I will need a lot of time to recover and rehab.  To me, the choice of proton therapy was a no brainer.  But the insurance company may not agree.  In that case, I may decide for no treatment at all.  If that happens, then I won't last long.

I won't bitch too loudly about refusal to fund my treatment of proton therapy.  That is because I had an alternative, which I would have refused.  However, I will protest anybody saying that Obamacare was a better than nothing.  To me, it is worse than nothing.  It gives false hope.  I hate false things, and have said that over and over on this blog.  This blog is about truth.  Obamacare in such a scenario would only be a chance to make a claim that ain't so.  If you want to claim that it will really help those in need, then by golly, it ought to do that.  If it is just about the money, then they aren't any better than what we had.  In fact, it is worse.  It is worse because it doesn't do what is claimed, and expands the scope of government without just cause.

Here's hoping that I get the proton therapy, and I get to live for awhile longer.  If that is not to be, then I have lived a long time already.  I am happy that I had that much.

That is all.


No comments: