Saturday, March 8, 2014

One big reason why Bill White became mayor of Houston

Those of you who do not live in Houston may not know who Bill White is.  He was mayor of Houston for six years.  Only six because Houston has term limits.  Six years and you are out.

Well, Bill White was a complete unknown, at least to me.  I suspect that he was a complete unknown to many more Houstonians.  What Bill White needed was an endorsement that meant something.  Not only that, but backing in the form of commercials.  He got that from Ben Love, once a prominent Houstonian.  Love did a number of TV commercials introducing Bill White to the people of Houston.

As a result, Bill White became mayor.  Without it, he may still be an unknown.  There were a few who wanted him to run for the Senate seat that Cornyn now holds.  I suppose it could still happen.

Now for me to have any hope of success of being elected, I would have to duplicate what White did.  It's a "moonshot", all right.  I have no such connections whatsoever.  Anyone who would do that would probably want to own me, but that ain't gonna happen.  So, it ain't gonna happen.  That's true unless there's a really prominent person with a real heart of gold out there.


No comments: