Sunday, March 2, 2014

Corporations are not people

Well, duh!

It wasn't that big of a deal to me during the 2012 election when Romney claimed that corporations were people.   In the last few months, it has become important to me.   At best, they are artificial persons.  Corporations do not bleed, nor do they feel.  Their owners may, but the entity itself does not bleed.

The only reason to incorporate is to get an advantage of some kind.  I knew of at least one advantage I learned about in accounting class-- limited liability.

In the markets, publicly held corporations have access to the investment funds of ordinary folks.  That can really expand their power and influence.   For these two reasons, some type of compensation must be obtained in exchange for these privileges.  These privileges all too often find their way into the hands of too few people.

But, I've been over that.  To repeat, higher taxes on publicly held corporations is okay by me.  I think corporations are getting too powerful anyway.  Real people should not be taxed, or taxed at the lowest possible rates.  Corporations,  and especially public held corporations, should be taxed out the wazoo.  Any capital gains from holding these corporations should not receive any special tax treatment.  They should be taxed at ordinary income levels.


No comments: