Saturday, March 4, 2017

The "health insurance" issue

There has been some chatter about the issue of Obamacare, and what is to become of it.

The reason my interest in the issue was piqued is that I am a big beneficiary of it now.  My stay at the hospital cost the insurer nearly 20k.  If my cancer treatment is approved, one estimate that I heard of was that it would cost a quarter million for the treatment.  No way I could ever even begin to pay for this.

Not that I endorse Obamacare.  No sir.  I think it is bad policy.  However, the bad policy may work out as a very good thing for yours truly.

I discussed my idea of the car insurance model with number one.  He didn't like it because he didn't think it would be good enough, I gathered.  But what is "good enough"?  What is the goal?

The goal should be that if you need a certain kind of healthcare, you should be able to get it, even if you cannot afford it.  After all, that is what insurance is for.  Taxpayers shouldn't be paying for abortions, nor should they be paying for routine medical bills.  But it may not be a bad idea to have a way to fund a healthcare system that would allow you to get the treatment you need if you don't have the money.

So, at the moment I am studying the issue a bit.  It has not tended to be an issue that interested me much, but with my condition, as I said, I am now interested.



No comments: