Sunday, January 4, 2015

Why the moving van?

Wishbone doesn't understand it.  Why do I like this idea so much?

If you read my series on asteroid mining, you may remember my concept of a "coffin".  The function of the coffin in that application would be to limit the amount of radiation shielding needed.  Less shielding, less weight, which is an important goal to achieve in space travel.  It's something that has to be provided for, as it is life support, and so it is a big problem.  My idea was not to shield the entire spacecraft, which would take up enormous amount of mass, but just enough area that can support one human being---hence the irreverent name "coffin".

It so happens that a coffin arrangement could work in conserving energy.  Why do climate control over a large area, when a smaller area could suffice?  Hence, the coffin.  There's is a handy cabover area on these UHaul moving vans that I'd like to exploit as my "coffin".  It is about 3 feet by 3 feet , so it is big enough  for a sleeper.  Stick your bed in there and climate control that during the night while you're sleeping.  This could save a lot of energy, which is a big goal out there.  Energy won't come cheap out there, so whatever you can do to minimize that energy expenditure is a big plus.

Explaining that to Wishbone did not win me a convert.  He thinks I should buy a friggin' big ass trailer.  If you follow my reasoning, you can see why I think that is a bad idea.

Wishbone comes from my clan, as he is my brother.  So, I know how hard it is to convince him of anything.

Sure, I don't have to sell him on the idea, but if I can't, who can I sell?  Anybody?

Either way, moving van or trailer, I'm going out West.  That's not in question.  The question is how and when.


No comments: