Thursday, January 8, 2015

Some off-the-grid thoughts

The world is crazy, as we are seeing in France.

One can retreat from this crazy world, as I am going to do.  Is that wise?  Perhaps not.  I will continue to keep track, just the same.  I will vote against the craziness.  I will write against it.  Just that words aren't enough.  You have to find something TO DO to strike a blow.  Perhaps what I do doesn't matter much, since I am only one person.  But if there would be enough people who would join up with me in resistance, it could make a difference.  Just sayin'.

Anyway, I made some decisions about housing out there.  I'm not going to buy the moving van.  Too expensive.  The trailer isn't big enough.  So, what to do?  Convert my van to an RV.  I already own the van.  Inside, it is bigger than the trailer that I am considering.  So, it has that going for it.

I can make my own "coffin" and slide it into the van.  If I make it portable enough, I can take it out too, when I want to use the van for hauling stuff around.

The "coffin" may not be all that hard to make.  Just make four sides and a top and bottom.  Six pieces of wood connected together and well insulated and voila---coffin.

The coffin concept is for sleeping.  It is made small in order to minimize energy necessary for making it warm or cool according to climate control needs.  This will save energy, I am hoping.

I'll put a bed in it, and it will all fit into the van.  The van can also house the toilet and the freezer.  But not a shower.  I will need to look up and think up a plan for that.  One idea is to buy a washtub and place it near the side doors of the van.  Put a tarp over the open end on just one side that needs to be covered, and place the wash tub between the doors.  Now you have a shower that you can stand up in, and it can collect the water that is to be recycled.  There will also be privacy, because the doors of the van, the body of the van, and the tarp will block in all directions.

It is comforting to be able to solve ones own problems, is it not?  This is in contrast with our collective institutions that only CAUSE problems for us.  Just sayin'.

Join with me, and together with own combined strength, we can rule the galaxy!!!  Bwah, hah, hah!


No comments: