Thursday, March 13, 2014

Grand Funk - Loneliness

I don't mind admitting here that I was a big Grand Funk fan in my youth.  Partly because I can see the flaws better now as I am older.  Grand Funk had a flaw, but weren't fundamentally flawed.  There were those who claimed a fundamental flaw in the group, but I didn't agree and still don't.  But now I see the flaw, or I think I see it.

I'm not a music critic, but even Grand Funk could make me wince.  Sure, I was a fan, but I never considered them perfect.  I was always looking for that something that would make them complete.

The missing thing about them was a brain.  I'm not saying Farner is stupid, but his lyrics are illogical.  If the words were straightened out a bit, this would be a beautiful song.  But the beauty is marred by a sour note of illogicality that ruins it.

I'd have some suggestions on improving it, but as I don't know Mark Farner, I cannot make them.  Besides, they may not work anyway.

That's the nature of loneliness.  You just can't agree with what the other people are saying.  So you are estranged.

Nevertheless, I feel this song.

)

Update:

Grand Funk was a teen rebellion group.  They fed off the feeling of teen rebellion.  I think their music was deliberately made bad in order to drive parents crazy, so that's why the kids loved 'em.  Same shit happens today, but it is in a different form.  Think Lady Gaga.

Ah, it was a more innocent time when the only thing "bad" was the kids going off the rails just a little.  Today, they are totally and more dangerously lost.


No comments: