Saturday, March 15, 2014

John Hawkins takes a swing and misses

Since I've begun this blog, I've been willing to challenge all conventional ways of thinking.  We need something "out of the box", because we are just going around in circles with these arguments of ours.

Hawkins claims that there are structural problems that are destroying America.  Uh-huh.  What gave you that clue, Sherlock?  It all belabors the obvious, to wit:
  1. Insufficient turnover in Congress.  Wow!  I never heard of that one before.  Tell me more.   Heck, if you listen to the liberals, you'll hear that they are talking "electoral reform".  Whenever the liberals want something that sounds like "reform", I get worried. 
  2. Broken education system.  Man, where has this guy been?
  3. Unsustainable spending.  Let's pass a balanced budget amendment!  Oh, that failed 20 years ago?  Never mind.
  4. Immigration policies.  Yeah, immigration reform.  That will do it.
  5. Overly progressive tax code.  Really?  Seems a lot less "progressive" than when I grew up.
Sure, all of these are correct in as far as they go.  They just don't go anywhere.  Same old, same old.

I'm not seeing solutions.  I'm seeing campaign slogans.

As long as you keep serving up fastballs down the center of the plate, your opponent is going to keep hitting them out of the park.  Throw some "curves", some "sliders", some "off speed" pitches.  These are so old that they've got mildew on them.


No comments: