Thursday, April 21, 2011

About "how-to's"

Is it not just a better idea to do something and learn it the hard way? As it turns out, selling one's own expertise may turn out to be a lucrative proposition. I know this to be true, because as I mentioned in this post-  How to do what have you , -I have spent big bucks on materials that were supposed to help me learn how to do something.  But somehow, the results did not live up to my hopes.

It is probably unavoidable that you will make lots of mistakes as you are learning something new.  In addition, it is a great help to have a teacher, as opposed to trying to do it all on your own.  That's what I did.  I do things on my own almost always, and that can be a really tough way to learn something.  In my opinion, an experienced instructor can tell you what you are doing wrong (and how to do better ) a lot faster than you can figure it out for yourself.

Take this blog for example.  Here I am, seven months into this, and I have no results worth mentioning.  I just happened to come across a site that was offering a "how-to" make money off a blog.  It was almost a sale right there, and then I thought "wait a minute!".  Haven't I been down this road a million times already?  What good has this ever done?  Yet, it might do a lot of good.  The only way is to order the book and try out the ideas in it.  I know about some of them already, though.

Here's the problem.  The author claims to that he can make lots of money off of blogs, but how do you know that he is honest about that?  Clearly, somebody must be making money off of blogs.  Not everybody is out there banging away at a keyboard just for the fun of it.  Or are they?  I know of a few people out there trying to make it on the internet.  Maybe they are doing well, who knows?  I'm not so sure that they are.  Maybe this is a money making business for some.  For most, it is a money equivalent of a black hole.  It disappears never to be seen again.

Update: shortly afterward

I googled "how to"  and here's one of the links, a "how to wiki".  Never used it.  There's plenty of stuff to look at, so I guess I'll be busy for awhile.  Here's another "e how".  I am reminded of the scene in Austin Powers movie where he finds out that Vanessa is a fembot.  He says, "Machine gun jumblees, how did I miss those, baby".

No comments: