Friday, June 10, 2022

A couple music links

 



Crystal Blue Persuasion

This song gets a post because it was mentioned in a conversation recently. The way it got into the conversation is what's meaningful in a way. Here's how it happened: A fellow in the area brought in a early sixties model Ford Falcon. It seemed to be in pretty good shape, and that got my attention. The reason for my attention was that the family car was one a lot like this one. ( Not to be confused with the '65 Falcon Ranchero blogged about before. This one is a different body style altogether.) So I talked about the car to the owner, and he mentioned the orginal color was called Crystal Blue. This jogged my memory, and I mentioned this song's name. The guy said that he loved that song back when it came out. ( He's about my age.) His Dad was based in San Diego at the time. He was a Navy man. Ah, memories.

It's funny the things you remember. I remembered this song. My reaction wasn't quite like his. The song is rather dreamy in an utopian fashion. The author of the song said it was based upon Scriptures. Yeah, sure it was. Those people in the sixties never really grew up. Rush Limbaugh would say that about the generation that the Clintons brought into the White House back in the time. How does that utopian vision match the modern condition? Maybe the order is a bit off. The utopian vision didn't have the tribulation first. We could be heading towards the big Trib. For awhile, there won't be "peace and good and brotherhood" like the song says. It will be quite different, and in a not so good way.

So much for that...

Led Zepellin greatest blues song

The next song is said to have been a great blues song. I forgot what I wanted to write about this one. (I saved these links for awhile. Getting rid of them, so I can make space. A kind of housekeeping thing.)

This song was on one of Led Zepellin's early albums. I forget which one. There was a video which talks up this song like it is the greatest blues song in rock history or something.

It definitely has a haunting feel to it. You can feel the pain in the performance. It is kind of a "drag" after all when your old lady leaves for another guy. Bummer.

There was a black dude back in the day, who told me about a blues concert he went to. Those kind of blues, as he described at the time, also had a kind of lightness about it. But this song is just about pain, pain, pain. The impact is more serious. Are the "blues" really this "bluesy"?

Anyway, that is all for now. Cleared some space on my device, and now I can link to other things in the future. It's ideas I had for posts, but somehow didn't get around to posting.

If I can remember, I may do this more often.

No comments: