Saturday, September 5, 2015

Obligatory, 9/5/15

As it can be seen, I'm not working.  Got up late, so a late start is the same as no start at all as far as I'm concerned.  Today will be a day for semi-rest and to get caught up on a few things.  Perhaps I will work a bit tomorrow and definitely on Monday.

Something I've been thinking about lately, but not posting, is my coffin concept for the RV van conversion.

This will be the addition I've been mentioned that will be constructed on the top of the van, and will function as a sleeper.  Now, there's nothing new there, but the thing that is new is the idea of just insulating the coffin, which will be placed in the area.  It will only be about 2.5x2.5x6 feet in size.  With those dimensions, one can calculate the BTU.  While I was at it, I calculated what I think would be the worst case scenario in terms of heating needed on a 10 degree night.  It seems to be within the realm of possibility that it can be handled.

Worst case power requirement scenario for coffin set up for RV van.
You can even use the solarium set up that I'm thinking of.  Solarium?  Yeah, the trailer I bought won't be used as living quarters if I'm going to use the van.  So, the trailer can be made into a solarium.  The solarium will have the passive water heater thingie I bought awhile back.  The heated water can supply some of the heat for the worst case scenario set up mentioned above.  In the end, I may reduce my electrical demand down to near zero!

Update:

Did a measurement of the van:  To put a rack on top, it could be 64 inches wide by 124 inches long.  This could be adjusted as desired.  If the cattle panels are bent into vertical shape, then they would be 3 feet tall and 10 feet long by 50 inches wide.  That leaves 14 inches on the side.  You could put 8 inch boards down each side and overlap the cattle panel by an inch on each side.  Bada bing, bada boom.  Another idea is to use a real door, but install it sideways.  Crazy!

One more thing:  Instead of using the trailer bed as a solarium, make it the floor bed of the sleeper.  Then metal can be attached to metal ( provided there's a way to do that.  Maybe with clamps. )

This one goes in the power and electricity subseries of the off-the-grid series of posts.

Prev   Next


No comments: