Saturday, January 31, 2015

Now that the weekend is here...

I've gotta to figure out what to do with it.  No plans.  Usually, I don't make  plans.  When I do make plans, the plans go all to smash anyway.  Why make a plan?

My "plans" for the move out West are on my mind, so I can do some stuff about that.  I really like the cattle panel idea for making quonset huts.  Perhaps I can put in some orders for the materials and be ready to go out West for my next adventure.

I can build (3) 16x8 Quonset huts for about a grand.  Cheap, no?  The other attraction is that I don't need anybody to help me build them.  The thing about people is that they will be glad to visit once I get everything put together out there, but they'll be pretty scarce until then.  Then, I suppose I'll have 'em in my hair all the time.

One of the quonset huts will be devoted to storing stuff, like a shed.  It will also serve as a windbreak from the north.  It will sit higher than the canopy, that I haven't completed yet.  There'll be a greenhouse just south of the canopy, that will serve as a windbreak from the south.

The third one will be the chicken coop, which will be to the west.  From the east, there will be the approach to the place, with the canopy in the center, where I can park.

I know that I've been over this before, so it is all old hat by now.

So, what's new?  I came across the "rocket stove" on YouTube, so it will be relatively easy to boil up some water, and cook.  Cheap too.  There's plenty of dead wood on the property, so I'll have a way to get started on that once I get there.  I plan on growing spirulina and using that for logs for the fireplace, as well.

But I'm repeating myself again.  Well, it looks like I have got a comprehensive plan, but it is still being worked out.  I found out recently that a freezer will probably not work, so now I have to decide what to do with this thing.  Get rid of it?  Keep it?

Lately, I've been considering buying a propane generator for water collection.  It will run a dehumidifier.  The solar panels and batteries won't supply enough power to run one, and the only question is whether I really want one of these that badly.  It could supply some water, especially on humid nights that occur more frequently than you might think out there.

Perhaps I should keep things simple at first.  Truck in the water, and take it all slowly.  Once I get my social security checks, I can think a bit more about expansion.  Or maybe I don't go out there so soon, and wait until I'm 62 first before going.

Then there's the short position in the market that may yield some cash, so that I may have some money for the extras.

There's a plan, but will it all work out?  We'll see.

This post will go into the general subseries of the off-the-grid posts.

Prev     Next




No comments: