Saturday, November 1, 2014

Day of experimentation

Seems like I'm learning things every day.

This morning, I'm learning about water filtration.  The thing that is new, and not so new, is how clay screws it all up.  Get some clay in that water and getting it out again is a real pain in the neck.

For example, I recovered most of my sand from one of my filtration devices.  But that sand now contains some of the clay that I used in making the bricks from Bentonite.  I wanted to see if I could recover water used in the cleanup, so I conducted the filtration on that water.  The water fouled up the filtration, even with only a little bit of Bentonite in it.  So, I still managed to get relatively clean water out of it, and I decided once again to run it through my remaining uncontaminated filter.  It isn't working as well as it should, as the water is still cloudy.

Conclusion?  If there's any clay at all in a water sample, getting it clean is going to be a bitch.

But I do have some water that may be of use somewhere, perhaps irrigation.

The sand is now recovered, so the new Bentonite test can take place, but that will have to wait until later, as I have to run a chore.


No comments: