Thursday, October 30, 2014

Bentonite experiment update

This didn't work out too well.  As mentioned in an earlier post, the main piece cracked badly, which indicated too much clay.  The other two pieces are too small to be useful for further experimentation.  I did play around with the bigger of those two pieces just before writing this.  It did have the feeling of clay.  Some of it has hardened pretty much, but it is still wet.  I think I used too much water.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep close track of the water added.  I'm thinking maybe 20 ounces, perhaps less.  The mixture started out too dry in my opinion, but changed dramatically to being too wet.  There may be a trick to mixing up this stuff.

I did keep close track of the sand added plus the Bentonite.  Relatively close, I should say.  Sloppy lab procedures again.

Just four weeks from today, I could be out there again.  The time is passing rather quickly, and I get the feeling I won't be ready, drat it.


No comments: