Saturday, October 22, 2016

Passive solar experiment, part three

Prev   Next

This post will go into the Power and electricity sub-series of the off-the-grid main series of posts.  These posts can be accessed from a table of contents and watched individually or in series from beginning to end.


As noted in another location on this blog, I brought back from Houston some passive solar equipment that I've been holding for over a year.  I unpacked it recently to discover that I had ordered TWO devices.

Now the trick is to get something useful constructed here at my new dwelling.  It so happens that I did some work on some unrelated project and, while doing so, I discovered an interesting fact that I  could put to use.  Thus, most of the elements are coming together for a humdinger of an experiment.

Not only that, I managed to conceive a realistic plan to make my coffin, too.  If you recall, the "coffin" is a small area devoted to sleeping ( like Dracula ), and by sleeping in it, I may keep my energy expenditure to a bare minimum.  ( Not sleeping in the nude, if you were curious. )

What else needs to be done?  I need a place to put the passive solar device.  I need a tank that will contain heated water.  I need the pumps and the lines from the tank to the device.  Finally, I need a pump and some lines to run from the tank to a radiator that will heat the coffin.  Sounds like a lot of hardware, doesn't it?

Still in the planning stage.


No comments: