Thursday, February 18, 2016

D Day

D Day againt Hitler was June 6, 1944.  My own D Day seems to be today.  Like everything else in my life, it has not been planned that way, but how it will likely turn out.

The thing that makes it a D Day was how it all started.  I need to make money, so off I go to Uber at 4 in the morning.  First thing I get is a call, which is about 10 minutes away.  Lots of times, when you have to go that far, these people won't wait.  They will cancel on you, and that comes after you have been driving for 5 minutes or so.  It doesn't cost them anything to cancel, but as a driver who only gets paid on completed trips, this cost me the time and the gas to go as far as I did.

Sure enough, about 5 minutes in, somebody calls, and I suspect that it is a cancel brewing.  Sure enough it was.  So, there I was, probably out of position for certain possibilities, and it is all due to this person who did something that didn't cost her, but may have ruined my morning.

I get a couple more rides, but they didn't pay much.  Since I needed money, I went by the old place, and asked for my old delivery job back.  I will go to work in the morning.  Hopefully, I can stand up to the work.  If I can't, I may have a problem.

So, there's a decision right there.  D Day is Decision Day.  I made the decision that to depend upon Uber isn't going to work out.  Now, I have to get prepared to work for deliveries again, and have to worry about staying healthy enough to do this kind of work.  That won't be easy.

Earlier today, because I was in something of a bad mood, I could have gotten into some trouble.  Only goes to show that this wasn't going to be my kind of day.  Some dude was driving in my lane, and could have sideswiped me.  My luck is he wouldn't have had insurance, and was an illegal alien.  I had heard such stories.  Maybe I dodged a bullet, hard to say.

Anyway, I went back home, and then to the office I went to ask for a six month lease.  I was told only a ten month lease is possible now, but a six month would have been approved by the office, and it would take a couple days to get an answer.

I've got to sign a lease soon, unless I can come up with a better idea soon.

There may be a better idea, and that could be to move into a trailer like Wishbone did.  It would also entail moving to the Austin area.  If the cost of living can be reduced, then Uber could work out.  So, there's a possible decision there.  To look into that possibility.

As for my property, it could be a bridge too far.  Based upon what I heard from my oldest sister, the problems  they had building a spot in the Hill Country bears some resemblance to what I want to do out west.  If it is windy, she said, you will have to get an anchor down to the rock below.  Otherwise, the sand won't hold up.  A New Testament verse comes to mind right there.

The soil  out there is sand on top of hard pack, which is also sand.  You may not have rock for quite a distance down.  Becase of the wind, your place could get blown off of what it is sitting on.  This would be a big mess, and you don't want to be there when that happens.

In other words, the deal out West could have fallen through based upon that information.  Another decision on D Day.

That last decision is written in stone, but it really does look like a bridge too far.  In WWII, there was an offensive called Market Garden, which had an objective a bridge.  Turned out that taking that bridge was not going to work because it was too far away.  Hence the term, " a bridge too far".  Seems to me that I've been doing a lot of that in my life.  Trying to take bridges that are too far.

No comments: