Thursday, August 21, 2014

More water filtration experiments

This is surprising.  Plain old toilet tissue seems to work the best in removing dirt from really filthy water.  Cotton doesn't work nearly as well.  I ran a test on charcoal.  All it does is make the water black.  Nevertheless, when I ran the complete system test a few days ago, the water was clear, but tinted yellow.  By the way, I kept the water for a few days and it clouded up.  Clearly, it wasn't useful for anything.

It may be useful to consider plain old sand.  The sand I'm using is mixed in with silt, which is remaining in the water.  This is hard to remove.  The toilet tissue will remove most of the dirt, but not the silt.  Nothing I've tried so far seems to be able to remove the silt, although sand might.

On a happy note, I managed to clear up the problem with the landlord.  At least for the now.

Update( a day later ):

You dummy.  I mean "me" dummy.  Look up at the above paragraph, I forgot to get plain old sand.  I ran another experiment and it really sucked.  One thing I need to drill into my head---this dirt from west Texas ain't worth a flip for filtration.






No comments: