Thursday, August 21, 2014

Events in Missouri

Haven't been following that story very closely at all.  Perhaps if I actually watched the news anymore, I'd a been fully "informed" about what is going on over there.

There have been some comparisons to Trayvon Martin.  If so, this could mean some trouble is ahead.

Perhaps it can be useful to discuss my own experiences with police.  Let's put this frankly.  I think I might be considered "white trash".  I come from a lower class background.  Haven't risen very far from it.  So, I've got this blue collar job, in which I may be the only white guy working wherever I'm working at the time.  That's still true today.

It may be the case that I get better treatment from the police because I'm white.  Don't know.  But what I do know is that they will stop you if you are white or black.  They will stop you even if you aren't doing anything wrong.

Such was the case on a couple occasions in the late nineties when I worked late into the early morning hours.  I'd go into neighborhoods to pick up stuff from vans that carried parts and supplies for repair work.  Now, with all the crime out there, if anybody is driving through a neighborhood in the wee hours of the morning, this may look suspicious.  I'd get stopped and questions were asked.  Then, they'd let me go.

What if I had been more belligerent, even though I had not done anything wrong, an incident could have occurred.

So, it appears to me that a little cooperation with the police could go a long way.  On the other hand, black folks could get stopped more often than white.  But shall I be brutally candid?  Who breaks the law more often?   A reasonable person may be forced to view blacks as more suspicious by virtue of the fact of being black.  There is nothing unfair about this.  It is the reality of the situation.  Blacks commit more crime.

Still, I don't know what happened there, but it is not justifiable to commit more crime in order to protest whatever the police may have done wrong, if such is the case.

If I am wrong on significant issue here, please show me where.

I wrote this because I saw that Drudge is reporting that the Russians are now lecturing us on race relations.


No comments: