Saturday, May 17, 2014

How much will a solar electric system for my home cost?

Part 3 of living in a conex series.  Previous post here.  Next post here.

If you are going to live in a conex, it may well be preferable to go off the grid.  One thing you'll eliminate is the dependence upon electricity.  As usual, we want to know the costs of this means of power.

It looks like a very costly sum indeed.  In order to get that number down, it may be necessary to go on a power diet.  The biggest costs that I have on my electricity bill is for heating and cooling.  By burying the conex, we may be able to avoid a lot of that expense and get by with a lot less energy.

Also, we may be able to use biological sources for energy.  I covered these in the green trucker posts.

Biological sources of energy could be used for sewage treatment.  If you remove the need for sewage treatment, you can save on the use of water and not need water pumped in.

I was thinking of using pyrolysis of human waste for the production of syngas to be used for further pyrolysis of future wastes.  In other words, use the energy contents of the waste in order to treat the waste.

The rest of the water treatment will be on a future post.  Update:  Never mind!  I've got a link right here to a way to get all the water we need.

Update ( 9/17/2014):


A lot of posts have come and gone in this series and my plans have been refined.  I'm adding the following links of posts that covered the issue in more detail.
At present, I am leaning towards a gasifier with a stirling engine that will burn the syngas.  The envisaged system will be able to supply electricity while recycling water and carbon.  Oorja fuel cells will require a bit more processing, which will complicate things a bit.

As a reminder, the electric needs can be calculated with some advice from a pdf I bought from Lemar Alexander.  ( the same guy who builds tiny houses )


next

No comments: