Friday, May 16, 2014

Home again 5/16/14

Home, again Jiggedy jig

My eyes were tired today.  Good thing there was a break in the middle of the day.  All I wanted to do was to sleep.


But I'm fully awake now.  Let's see if I can finish this post before I fall asleep.

Towards the end of the day, I got a brainstorm.  But this one wasn't about space nor energy.  This one is about what I'm going to do when I reach retirement age.  This is not too far off now, and I really don't have a plan.  Well, that's nothing new. All my life, I haven't had a plan.  Whatever plans I had didn't work anyway, so what difference is there?

Anyway, the plan is to live in a conex.  What?!?  Are you crazy?  Well, I thought that was decided already.

Nope.  I'm working on the idea and I think it may have merit.  I've seen these things converted into offices and such.  It's not that big of a stretch to make a house out of it.

But why the hell would you want to live in one of those things?  To save money.  If you build a house, you will need a crapload of money.  One of these should be a lot cheaper and will have plenty of structural strength.

But wouldn't it be uncomfortable?  Yes, but I'm thinking about that.  Instead of putting it on a lot somewhere, I figured I would bury it.  What?!?  Bury it!  Are you... ok, never mind.  The reason for burial is to keep the sun off of it and it would stay nice and cool.  But how would you get into and out of the darned thing?  I'd have a rollup door on the side, so the thing would lay down with the rollup door facing up.  There'd be a ladder leading out of it and into it.

What about plumbing, lighting and so forth?  These all require a lot more thought.  I haven't gotten that far with the idea.  Give it some time.

This will be a new series.  The new posts will cover the other facets of the structure as I flesh it out.

Now, I can sleep.  Maybe.

Update:

This update is over a month later.  There have been many, many posts, and it has become necessary to have a Table of Contents post.

Update ( 9/17/14):

It should be pointed out that the conex idea went out the window and has been replaced by other ideas.  One of these is by building a tiny house.  I put this update in so as to inform any casual passers by that this series is not about living in a conex, it is about living off-the-grid.


next

No comments: