Sunday, May 26, 2013

Miscellaneous post

As mentioned earlier today, I am often curious about who comes here and why.  But not curious enough sometimes.  Something has come to my attention that has confirmed a suspicion that most of the pageviews that I thought I was getting were just bots.

How disappointing.  Nevertheless, this does not kill my enthusiasm for my own blog.  I do regret that the popularity has not come, and may never come.  It has been a hard slog over these last nearly 3 years to gain what little ground that I have gained.  It has been even harder than I thought it was.

I visited my other site that I'm planning to move to, now I am not so sure about when I'll make that move anymore.  It is really hard to say what the numbers actually are.  On that blog, the website's claim is about 800 visits a day.  But Wordpress is only counting a hand full of visitors.  The discrepancy can be attributed to what exactly?  It is the same with this blog.  I visited alexa and checked the numbers there and got similar numbers to the above.  If you count EVERYTHING as a pageview, then maybe alexa's numbers are the most reliable.  But that would include mostly bots.

You don't really know until you get comments, and the other blog has more comments there.  But I haven't done anything to restrict comments over there.  I spent a lot of time going through each comment last week and again this week.  But it is impossible to screen out the spam bots and the real thing.  Even what looks real may be a bot.  They may be really very clever bots these days.

I'll apologize here for deleting most of the comments on the other blog.  Eventually this post will be cross posted over there anyway.  So when it does, it will be readable to those who went through the trouble to actually  comment.  I thank you for your interest, but there's no time to respond to everybody and everything.  Sorry if your comment was one of the ones deleted.

I may have to restrict comments on the other blog.  There's no reliable way to screen out bots, darn it.  Until that time, you may get in a comment or two, but after that, you will have to identify yourself.


No comments: