- Glenn Reynolds and Jerry Pournelle talk about post Shuttle era
- Happy or sad occasion? JP says both. No follow on. No longer have manned space program.
- Military tactic of taking high ground has been sacrificed
- Bad news, now the good news: commercial space moving fast
- Private enterprise can do it, need to guarantee a market though, gives an example of a moon colony
- Shuttle wasn't created just to take people to space, bureaucracy was goal, not space
- Logistics of Apollo was military, example was D Day, Apollo itself
- Apollo 20 mission, wasn't one, won the race, but left with army with nothing to do, needed to employ them, that was Shuttle's mission
- Will commercial succeed long term? Have to disband standing army.
- Lost Challenger because SRB can't be made in Utah, had to break it up into pieces, bad idea
- Main engines overstressed, caused Shuttle to fail mission
- Series of prizes might do it
I am adding Jerry Pournelle's blog to my sidebar.