Thursday, April 6, 2017

Solutions can be found if the desire to find them exists

At the place where I am being treated for cancer, there is some information displayed which says that the odds are 50-50 that a man will get cancer during his lifetime.  For women, it is a 1 in 3 chance.

Thinking upon that a bit, a universal requirement to have some type of health "insurance" would seem to make sense.  Even though the odds are high that you will eventually get cancer, the odds are lower if you are younger, I would think.  Also, if you are younger, the odds are not zero.  Therefore, you can make a risk pool that can include an entire population and be able to make a catastrophic policy possible, I would think.  Premiums may necessarily be higher for older adults, of course.

So, where does this leave us now?

I don't know enough about the general case for the entire population, but I do know my own case.

As for pre-existing conditions, I caught a lucky break.  I had a pre-existing condition, and under such a rule that would not require these to be covered, I would have been out of luck.

Should I now say that others would just have to be out of luck then, should they find themselves in a similar position as I was?  I don't think I will just say "tough luck" in the answer to that question.  For, in my own case, my last option would have been to move back to Houston and throw myself on the mercies of the public health care system there.  This would have been a nightmare scenario that I would not have accepted.  It would have meant certain death or permanent disability with a very uncertain and painful recovery, if that was even possible.

How can that be justified when a solution exists that would be affordable for the entire population?  Once again, I cannot say for the entire population, but I can say for myself.  The current system worked for me pretty well.  I won't say that it is a good system for all, but it might have some good points that could be applicable for a good solution that everybody could live with.

You have to have the honesty, courage, and will to seek solutions to problems.  It seems to me in our country today that we have a problem there.


No comments: