Sunday, February 1, 2015

Looking for ways to save a buck

Prev  Next

This post will go into the off-the-grid construction subseries.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise not to have too much money.  It forces you to become creative, and come up with new ideas.  Also, to keep looking around for solutions to problems.  It's a good exercise.

For example, I found the cattle panel greenhouse idea, which is an easier project than the original one.  This setup is also useful for other needful buildings that could be necessary.

The thing, though, is that I may not need (3) buildings.  Maybe I can get away with just (2).

After all, why not build inside one of these and live in it.   Wha?????

A brainstorm occurred to me to make a hammock inside of the greenhouse.  How to do this is this next question.  It may require a metal shaft to be connected to a post at each end, and on to which the hammock will be attached.  These will be inside the greenhouse and out of the way, so when the hammock is not in use, it can be folded up and put away.

That means, I may once again try to dig a hole out there and place the post into the hole, and cement it up.

I have an augur bit, but I didn't try it on my last trip.  I can use that to make the two post holes.

Anyway, the greenhouse can go just south of the canopy, as I had always planned.  As for a shed setup, why need it if you are going to sleep in the greenhouse, as opposed to sleeping in the van?

Building one less structure will be helpful in saving money and effort.

As for the windbreak for the canopy, I can attach one directly to the canopy itself.  The vehicle inside the canopy will act as a windbreak from the north, anyhow.

The other structure will be for the chickens.  The plastic sheeting may not be necessary.  As a matter of fact, it won't be necessary at all, but a tarp might be desirable to keep the sun off the birds in the summer.


No comments: