Monday, November 3, 2014

Raise chinchillas? Hah, hah, hah!

That was Wishbone's response to the idea of mine to raise chinchillas at da ranch.

When he laughs, I'm like the EF Hutton commercial--- I listen.  Then I do the opposite.

Well, looking at the proposition, it will be somewhat daunting.  As if the project wasn't daunting enough as it is.  I need to get started early on it because time is not on my side.  That is to say, if I go out there 2 1/2 years before I get my government cheese, I may not have enuff money to live on.  There's that word again---money---will I ever get free of it?

I could always wait for the government cheese, but that takes time, and I don't have a tremendous lot of that left either.  Either way, it seems, you lose.

I figure that to raise 50 chins a year, I need 25 females.  That's two babies per female per year.  You'll need about 5 males to do the honors, so to speak.  That's a total of 30 chins.  That won't be cheap, nosirree bob.

That's 5 breeding pods, if that's what they're called.  If each breeding pod can be had for $500, that would require 2500 bucks for the necessary animals.  I'm thinking you won't get off that light.  But, I haven't looked into it yet.

It could be that the animals are going to be too expensive unless I find another way to do this.


No comments: