Saturday, March 2, 2013

More about the blog, going forward

It has been that kind of day.  Actually, it has been that kind of month.  Lots of things going on that affect the blog.  As a consequence, I have had to adapt.   Those adaptations take time, and there's not much of that.

Amongst those things that I've discussed before, there has always been this desire to turn the blog into more than just a hobby.  Ultimately, I want it to be a successful enterprise.  The big question is how to do that.

Besides the stuff that I've mentioned already, I've been reading HTML for Dummies, a book I bought almost a decade ago.  Something in that book reminds me of something that I haven't given much thought, and that is this:  Who the heck reads this blog?

Indeed.  I can't answer that even though I've been blogging consistently for over 2 years now.  Talking about dummies, I think that qualifies for a special medal for quintessential dumb assery.

I guess I just looked at it from my own point of view thinking that I could get readers who would agree with me and want to read my stuff.  Maybe that works, but if it does, it isn't good enough.

How to make money is a good idea that everybody could get interested in.  Everybody needs money, unless you already have a lot.  I included that in my sidebar, near the top, so there's something for you to consider.

My blog doesn't focus on that enough, though.  It is important to know what's going on, but don't get too wrapped up in it.  You have to be detached.  That's not easy for me.  I tend towards getting emotionally involved in what I'm writing about, and that leads me down some paths that aren't relevant towards the goal of making money.

The blog has always been ad hoc, but now requires some thought and organization.  That is also a challenge for me because I'm not naturally well-organized.  I do like to think, but I wonder about the quality of my thinking.  If it isn't good quality, it is just as bad as no thinking at all.

This enterprise is getting more complex all the time.  Going forward, I must give more thought to organization and to emotional detachment.

That is all for now.


No comments: