Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Morning Summary, 6/14

Very nice turnout for so little production yesterday. Thanks very much. Let's see if I can actually put up something worth reading today. I can't guarantee quantity though. Not as much time to work on it.

It may sound pretty dumb because it probably is, but there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to this blog. This was true at the beginning. Over time, it is crystallized into something with more meaning as the blog evolved over time.

You see, this blog had no master plan nor purpose. If I had attempted to come up with a mission statement for it, or a description of what it is, I couldn't have done it, or not without great effort. Eventually, I came up with the heading that graces the top of this blog. "Kardashevian Aspirations"- mastery of energy and space in order to raise civilization to a higher level. Still, is that somewhat inadequate. It isn't exactly what it is all about. Which is where my personal problems come in.

If it is to be a business, it needs a revenue source. Otherwise, how to keep going? I tried a number of ideas, all of which have not been successful. Finally, I am where I am now- having to go back to doing what I usually do in order to support myself. That is, I am a delivery guy.

But I want to keep doing this. So, my delivery work can support me and I can support this blog. But why would I want to do that? Isn't there something better to do with my time? This leaves me with a question that I need to get answered somehow. What is my motivation for continuing? I can't get paid for this. Not now at least. Over time, there may be some commercial value in it, but for the moment- no.

I can hope for that in the future, but that may be a vain hope. There has to be a basis for hope- an increasing audience, some actual sales and donations. That sort of thing. Or, I can decide altogether to forego any real hope of making this thing pay, but then I am back to the same old question again- why do this?

This brought me to the militia question which I mused about yesterday's morning summary. But this isn't military, so what is the appropriate term? So, I begin looking that up in the old wikipedia and found a reference to tribune, as in Roman times. Well, I am definitely a plebe, no getting around that one. This isn't the Roman Republic, though. It is an American Republic, at least for the moment. Let's say I'd like to keep it that way.

That role of tribune in the American Republic has been the press. It's sacrosanct attribute came from the First Amendment to the US Constitution. The US Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land. The Congress can make no law- as long as the "powers that be" respect the law.  That means the right to free speech.

But the press isn't adequately filling that role anymore. It has become corrupted by the need to make a buck. So, they have been captured by that master and have to serve him. But by serving him, they have lost their real power. The real power comes from independence from the government. I think they have lost that independence and are serving the government and those who control it.

The government can't forbid the press from saying things, but I think things have gotten far enough out of hand that this day may be within sight. So, I think a mission for this blog is to keep certain ideas out there before they get snuffed out of existence by the powerful who see any new idea as a threat to their power.

Such is the case for "cold fusion". Such could be case in many other instances which have not been as written about here quite so much. If it happens once, it can happen many other times. I think of it like roaches. If you see one roach, you can count on there being a lot more. Like seeing a roach, if you see once instance of a worthy idea being suppressed, then there must be more. If that happens, you need an "exterminator". Get rid of the roaches, please.

The exterminator has a dirty job, but somebody has got to do it. It doesn't have much status, nor glory, but unless you want to be overrun by roaches, you will need him.

But the title is a bit gauche, yes? Not an exterminator, but something like one. Maybe one who keeps worthy things alive and not keep unworthy things alive. This involves justice and justice requires truth.  I believe that I can serve up the truth here.  At least get closer to it than what exists now.

These are some of my thoughts. I hope you found them interesting.

I will add this to the sidebar entry, as has been my custom when I write something I want to easily reference. In order to see all these type of posts, just click on that label at the end of this post. Like everything else on this blog, it has been a work in progress. If anything, you may be able to see how the blog has evolved over time.

Update:

This post was a little too repetitive with respect to what I wrote yesterday.  My regrets.  I have to do better than this.

No comments: