Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Evening Wrap, 6/14- Huizenga Part II

There aren't that many posts to talk about. I'll let that graphic slide tonight.

I mentioned earlier today that I started reading Huizenga's book. Huizenga is the chief critic of "cold fusion".

Not much progress beyond what I've already mentioned.

A quick thought before I go. This is not always a nice world out there. People do crappy things all the time. So, it wouldn't surprise me if Huizenga's book was intended to be part of an effort to destroy "cold fusion" as a respectable idea. On the other hand, it isn't my intention to turn this guy into a bad guy. The one thing here that may be questionable is the force of the criticism. Is he really that sure? He seems certain, or wants those who read his book to believe it certain, that there was an error.

That's not to say that there wasn't an error. But Fleischmann had a good career up to that point, just as Huizenga. Generally speaking, I'd say Fleischmann was the equal of all his detractors. Yet they were passing judgment upon him as though he was not their equal. I'd say Huizenga was just as liable to make a mistake as Fleischmann. It isn't that cut and dried.

There were other considerations too. This wasn't just about scientific process and going through proper channels. Anybody who has done anything that would be considered of an intellectual property of value would understand that you just don't share information that freely with your peers. It is naive to suggest that this is always the way to go for all circumstances. If you don't understand what I'm referring to, or if Huizenga doesn't, then you aren't using your head. You don't give away knowledge of great value for free. Money is at stake. The rules may change when that happens. Therefore, this criticism is overblown.

No comments: