Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Off-grid post 3.13.18

Been practicing with my Garmin.  This one isn't for the highways and streets.  It's
a trail/ outdoors type.  On my last trip to the property, I attempted to use this
thing without much success.  It was confusing.  I must have walked around and
around in circles with this thing.

I made a few adjustments, like putting north up top of screen.  It wasn't set at
that, yet I kept thinking I was heading north, when I wasn't.

When you are just starting out, you need to learn to crawl before you walk, and
walk before you run.  It looks like as far as locating waypoints with this, I
am still at the crawling stage.

But I learned a something today.  At least I am not as dumb as yesterday.

later still that day...

The simplest thing is to take the trailer out there.  If I do that, I want to
wall it in.

There could be a gravel surface for it to sit on.  Make that the first order of
business.

After that, put in barrels and fill them up.  Inside the barrels will be concrete.
But that is a lot of concrete.  Calculations say one hundred thirty sixty pound
bags.  Too much concrete.  Another plan so that there is not such concrete, pls.

Seems like they have half barrels.  Could check into that.  If it is half as
much, that means only sixty five sixty pound bags.  Only sixty five, my butt.

It would take eight barrels, as a twelve by thirty would be big enough.  Dig down
eighteen inches, drop the barrel in, and set the rebar.  The barrels at each
end would have to be twelve feet apart.  This would allow access, as a big
barrel at each end would not allow the trailer through. 

Before pouring concrete, get the posts installed, as they will be covered in
concrete.  Care needs to be taken so that they are lined up and level, with
the posts being at equal height.  The posts will be four by four by twelve.  If
they are sunk at no more than a foot, then that would give enough height to
allow the trailer to clear.

To build wall, a lot more concrete is needed.  Cinder block may be a better
choice for some of this work.  I want a wall about two feet tall all around.
About six inches of concrete for the base, then a couple cinder blocks on top.

To fill in the walls, use siding.  The roof would come first, of course.  Connect
them up with the posts, and all will be well.  ( Think Animal House )

This isn't a complete and detailed plan, but maybe it can be a start.

No comments: