Monday, March 12, 2018

Off-grid post, 3.12.18

It has been awhile since I last posted an off-grid type post.  This project is
still ongoing, but I have to admit that it seems no closer to reality than it
did when I started.  Perhaps the reason for that is indecision.  At some point,
decisions have to be made.

It was nearly four years ago now that I got the land.  It almost seems like it
may take four more years to get out there.  Either do it, or get off the pot.
Besides that, I don't really feel prepared either.  There's probably not any
excuse for that.  There has been plenty of time.  Evidently, I haven't managed
my time very efficiently.

There have been little things that I have been doing, so there's that much.  One
thing was to get a trailer hitch installed on the van.  Now I can pull the trailer
if I wish.  Or anything else for that matter.

In addition, I have been attempting to manage the weeds around here.  As often as
I think of it, I whack away at some weeds here.  What that does is that it gives
me some exercise, but also some practical experience at managing something that
lives.  That may seem an odd thing to write about, but I have never done that
before, and when I did start to do that once, it did not go well.

So, it may be a bridge too far in many more ways than was originally thought.  Shoot,
I haven't even had so much as a dog in my entire life.  Before I built that shack,
I never built as much as a doghouse.  Now look what I am trying to do.  It is even
more of a moonshot than I anticipated.

With respect to dogs, it may be necessary to get one or two of them.

Besides the weeds, I took my machete out to the fallen tree nearby, and took a lot
of whacks at it.  Eventually, I could collect quite a bit of firewood, but that is
not really the purpose.  I just want to see what I can accomplish.  The machete
is not as good as a chainsaw, but it can get through some limbs.

Out west, there isn't much in the way of trees, so a machete may be all I need
out there.

An idea sprung up in my mind recently.  It involves using the trailer out there
after all.  This idea isn't new, but what is new is... not pouring a concrete
foundation.  Instead of that, I could put in the concrete footers.  Instead of
six, I would use the original six for the 10x20 foot enclosed area on the north
side, plus eight or possibly ten more for the trailer.  That could mean as many
as sixteen footers.

Come to think of it, that begins to sound like a lot of work.

Anyway, it is only a thought.  It could be eliminated if it is too complex.

If I were to follow through with that plan, I would enclose the trailer with
a low wall to the south, and a large window area that would let in sunlight in
the winter.  Obviously, I don't want sun coming in during the summer.  The overhang
could take care of that.

It does appear to be too complicated a plan though.  Too much money, not to mention
that it is too much work, which is always a problem right now.

One or the other could be eliminated, I suppose.  That is, the trailer, or the
enclosed area.  As of now, I am leaning towards the enclosed area only.

As for other items, I have still not completely worked out my power issue.  This
is a knotty problem indeed.

At present, I am leaning towards using a propane generator.  In addition to that,
perhaps some batteries, but these are only good for lighting.  You cannot run
serious stuff with batteries-- or at least, not for long.

I can avoid using the a/c, by using a swamp cooler.  I hear they work great out
there.

Well, there's still plenty of time to think about it.  But decisions have to be
made.  

This will be all for now.

No comments: